Monday, January 30, 2012

My 50th Birthday Party

Remember Christmas, when I described the two types of old people? Awesome vs. curmudgeonly. Well, I had another awesome old people sighting, and it reinforced my desire to remain awesome no matter how old I get.

When I turn fifty, I want people to wonder if I'm having a birthday party or a bachelorette party. Nothing raunchy, no penis lollipops or scavenger hunts or anything, just a night out not worrying about anything except having a good time.

On Saturday night, a friend and I saw a group of middle-aged women dancing at a bar in Georgetown. One of them wore a tiara and a pink feather boa, and we debated with two guys there as to which type of party they're having. It turns out, a blonde woman with a nametag that said "Dixie" was celebrating her fiftieth birthday with all of her girlfriends. They danced with a couple of young guys, a couple of older guys, and me and my friend. They knew all the words to "Tik Tok," everyone bought the birthday girl a drink, and they probably went to bed at a reasonable hour (they were in full swing around 10). Sounds like a perfect fiftieth birthday party to me.