Saturday, January 7, 2012

I Resolve to...

The first week of 2012 is gone, and the best way to stay accountable for resolutions is to post them publicly on the internet! That way, if I break one you'll all know and I'll be shamed. Public humiliation is a great motivator.

So this year I decided to make very few simple resolutions, as my goal is to actually keep them for more than three months. I only have three, and they're all geared toward different parts of my life that are within my control. If I fail to keep these resolutions, it's entirely my fault. Self-reliance is also a great motivator.

1. Volunteer at least once a month - got this one covered. I'm starting volunteer zoo guide training in February, and I have to lead people around talking about the animals three times a month for a full year.

2. Plan one unique, awesome date per month for me and Andrew - I have something secret-ish almost planned for his birthday on the 18th, and Andrew will read this at some point so I'll leave it at that.

3. Go to the gym three times/week with Andrew, and go 30 min on the elliptical - this was originally his resolution, but I thought it was a good idea and sweating is much more fun with a buddy. We started the last week in December, and so far we're going strong! I really really hope this lasts for more than three months. If we're ever going to New Zealand, I must be fit enough to hike Mt. Doom. (Speaking of which, has anyone seen the Hobbit trailer yet? Goosebumps.)

I thought about making a resolution about updating this blog more often, but... let's not get too ambitious. Maybe next year.