Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Trip to the Market

I swear I'm not a hipster, but I love farmers' markets and everything they stand for. Local food tastes better, local flowers last longer, and where else can you find vintage postcards for crafty projects? If I could live anywhere in DC, I would live inside the Eastern Market building next to the flower lady's stand. Andrew and I have made two trips out on the orange line, and both times we've made extravagant plans for meals that would require a strange cut of meat or a cheese we've never heard of.
A real butcher. This inspires me to take my cooking to a new level.
Unlike most other farmers' markets, Eastern Market stays open year-round (which is why I was able to post these pictures in February). It helps to have a permanent building and an overhang to shelter produce stands:
One thing I've been missing about Charleston is being able to get fresh seafood, especially winter oysters. It's just not winter without an oyster roast. Some of you may think that these tasty little gems look like snot blobs, and they kind of do, but I bet you like gummy worms. Seriously, if you're willing to eat something that has the look and texture of a hermaphroditic animal that eats decaying leaves, give oysters a chance.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make here is that Eastern Market sells fresh seafood! Including oysters! And squid. They also have fish with the heads still attached, but I couldn't look at them without feeling sick so no pictures of those.

If you ever visit me in DC (Kate Fowler in one week!) I will probably take you to Eastern Market over the weekend. Humor me, please, because so far it is my second favorite place in DC. (What is my first favorite place, you ask? Perhaps I will write about that in my next post...)